Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What methods work inside sydney harbour?

What methods work inside sydney harbour?

Hi Guys

Love watching your videos but unfortunately I dont fish ocean facing rocks. I mostly fish on rock platform inside sydney harbour. Anywhere between Luna Park area to Manly.

Do techniques like stickbaiting or poppers still work in the harbour even though there is a lot less foamy water? Do the predators hunt differently in the harbour?

I've been a baitfisher in the past and want to look at getting into lures. I've caught a couta using shore slow, but havent had much luck otherwise. I'm curious about stickbaiting, does it work in the harbour? To get it it out a decent distance i'm looking at 50g+ lures usually.. Is this too big for a mid sized fish? They are usually 10-15cm long, quite an imposing piece of bait. I'm targeting kings, salmon, tailor, bonito etc. Hoping to break my kingfish cherry this summer season

I have some spots where I am casting near channels and into deep holes.

Any tips on what lures to start with? I have heard the SXR12/14 is good in Ghost but unfortunately seems like it is out of stock in your web store? Cheers

Hey mate,

All lure methods do work but I would personally recommend using smaller lures when fishing the harbour. If you're looking to chase kingfish in the harbour you're better off using smaller shore jigs (Maria Shore tricker & Palms slow blatts) and small minnow lures (under 120mm) that you have in your artillery. If you have your mind set on a big kingfish in the harbour you can persist with a larger stickbait 140mm - 180mm, but your chances of hooking up to a king that size can be fairly slim in the harbour. The rapala long cast/XXXRAP are good lures to use in the smaller size SXRL12 unless you have a heavier set up that requires a heavier lure to cast the distance.

My recommendations:

Jigs: Palms slow blatt cast, Maria shore trickers, Shout Dangans
    Minnows: Maria Duplex, Shimano Coltsniper Rockslide 120S, Maria Fla pen, Maria pop queen (large lure), Rapala SXRL12/14

Hope this helps!

Awesome thanks! Would something like the Palms Shore Gun F-Series Shore Jigging Rod be suitable for fishing both stickbaits and shore slow?

I will def check those lures out. Thanks!! Will report back if I have any success

Quote Originally Posted by chokpa View Post
    Awesome thanks! Would something like the Palms Shore Gun F-Series Shore Jigging Rod be suitable for fishing both stickbaits and shore slow?

I will def check those lures out. Thanks!! Will report back if I have any success
    The Palms shore gun F series shore jigging will be preferable for this type of fishing, stickbaits and shore slow. Just make sure that you get the right rod for the reel, lure and line combo. If you need any assistance, feel free to ask mate.

Goodluck with your shore jigging adventures!

Cheers, appreciate it.

I am just using a shimano symetre with 20lb braid and 20lb fluro atm. Pretty basic. Going to try it out over the next few months to see if i get any success.

might be a silly question but what would the difference be between the f series and say, a typical rock/surf spin rod like a penn prevail in a similar length/weight?

Quote Originally Posted by chokpa View Post
    Cheers, appreciate it.

I am just using a shimano symetre with 20lb braid and 20lb fluro atm. Pretty basic. Going to try it out over the next few months to see if i get any success.

might be a silly question but what would the difference be between the f series and say, a typical rock/surf spin rod like a penn prevail in a similar length/weight?
    On the Symmetre with 20lb braid I would advise you to use smaller lures on a lighter set up ~PE2.

A JDM shore jigging rod is usually better balanced, faster taper, soft tip and will be easier to cast and work lures. A surf rod has the opposite which is a soft and slow taper that will make casting lures and working lures unfavourable.

My experience from the harbour is limited, but having fished it a few times over the years. The small metals are the way to go on light line.
    My setup is usually my light 8.6 egi rod with pe 0.8 and 8-10lb leader for spinning in the harbour from the shore. I generally cast metals between 5-20g metals.
    5g metals being the most effective if the wind isn't into your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Team.IFL.Gabriel View Post
    On the Symmetre with 20lb braid I would advise you to use smaller lures on a lighter set up ~PE2.

A JDM shore jigging rod is usually better balanced, faster taper, soft tip and will be easier to cast and work lures. A surf rod has the opposite which is a soft and slow taper that will make casting lures and working lures unfavourable.
    Okay awesome. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by autocad View Post
    My experience from the harbour is limited, but having fished it a few times over the years. The small metals are the way to go on light line.
    My setup is usually my light 8.6 egi rod with pe 0.8 and 8-10lb leader for spinning in the harbour from the shore. I generally cast metals between 5-20g metals.
    5g metals being the most effective if the wind isn't into your face.
    Hmm I actually have a 1-3kg rod that would suit those small metals. I have 7g metals but i'm not sure how to fish them. Do i fish it like shore slow, rip it through the water like with surf fishing normal metals? Fish it like a soft plastic? I'm also ever had success with metals at the beach. Slogging out 60g twistys on the beach rod haha

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Hmm I actually have a 1-3kg rod that would suit those small metals. I have 7g metals but i'm not sure how to fish them. Do i fish it like shore slow, rip it through the water like with surf fishing normal metals? Fish it like a soft plastic? I'm also ever had success with metals at the beach. Slogging out 60g twistys on the beach rod haha

What are your thoughts?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The light bream sticks are good for the harbour but depending on your skill level it may be a little too light. The way you works a metal really depends on the characteristic of each lure.
    I like to go through a few different type of retrieves. Generally fast burn so the lure skips on the surface. Then I might try a few fast jerks like when you egi. And then I might try a shore jigging method so the lure hits the bottom. I sometimes, lix two retrieves following a single cast.

A good starting point might be to grab a few lures from Gabriel to see what is working at the time. I would have a variety of lures, as what works one day might not work the next day. Generally, you are trying to match what the fish are feeding on. And hence lures in the 5-20g lures being effective.

Good luck. We might run into each other on the rocks.

Cheers Scott

Cool. Yeah i figured as much, was just being hopeful haha.

Yeah ive been picking up all my rapalas and shore slow lures from the eastwood store lately. Pretty cheap and good to see them in person. Will be a struggle to make it there this week. Was hoping to try out some new tricks saturday morning...

If you guys ever fish in the harbour I would be keen