Thread: Mc works raging bull vs carpenter blue chase 84/22

Cool Mc works raging bull vs carpenter blue chase 84/22

Hey guys I'm in abit of a pickle here I'm wondering if you guys would have any advise I know you guys have sold the mc works raging bull I'm wondering if use have fished with it and how do you rate it? Or if you have had any experience with the carpenter rods?

So I'm
    Basically in the market for a high end Japanese rod it's basically for chasing kings off the stones, I will mainly be using it for poppers and stick baits I know majority of the rods are designed for one of the two,
    I want to pair it up with a daiwa saltiga 5000h.
    I'm Just wondering if you guys have any feed back on any of these rods or if you have other alternatives?
    More and more I research more it's doing my head in hahah I really want to get this setup right as it's not cheap and I'm sick of buying cheaper alternatives that I'm not ovally happy with they do get the job done just would like something abit lighter and more finesse,

I'm using stickbaits from around 60g-120g and poppers max around 100g but wouldn't mind playing with some larger ones!

Thanks I appreciate help guys

Hi mutch22
    Although I have not personally used the high end gear you are keen on getting the following thoughts may assist you with your selection
    Firstly work out how much drag you are able to handle physically in fighting lets say a big kingie 15kg or more. Bear in mind that not too many people are able to fish much more than 15kg drag setting standing up off the rocks even for someone weighing 90kg or more
    Secondly what breaking strain braid are you going to spool your reel? 80lb or 115lb main line and leader 150lb?
    Thirdly lure weight range you're likely to use. If you opt a heavy setup 60gm lure won't go too far out. 100gm lure is pretty heavy and have you tried casting that combo for an hour or more?

My land based spinning combo is Catalina 5000 spooled with 80lb Daiwa Saltiga 8 braid and 100lb - 130lb Jinkai wind on leader. Rod is a Murasame Caranx 80 rated for PE 2-5 100gm max lure weight and 10kg drag at 60 degree angle. I weigh 67kg and 180cm in height. My poppers and stick baits ranges from 70gm to 90gm and I don't recall spinning for longer than an hour

Finally, choose a combo that feels comfortable and allows you to cast lures effortlessly. Btw, the Catalina 5000 is lighter than the Saltiga 5000H and only three minor parts are non-Saltiga components

Hey wongster
    My current setup I'm running 80lb braid and leader anywhere between 50lb -100lb and usually have my drag set around 7-8kg which I can use quite comfortably! It's just the current setup is just a very heavy setup I'm looking for something a lot more quality and lightweight! And I can agree with you for spinning for about an hour or so it does start wearing you out!
    I've been sussing out a couple of rods I'm pretty keen on either the daiwa shore spartan 100xxh or the yamaga blanks 106h ps I'm pretty sure they have them in stock at the shop at campsie which I'm keen to go down and get a feel for them and match a reel to them see what I'm more comfortable with! I'm quite interested giving shore jigging a good go aswell I think it would be very productive.
    I did own a Catalina 5000h which I was more then happy with but unfortunately I had to sell it I was just keen on the saltiga because I have wanted one for a long time now but it comes down to what ever feels more comfortable for myself!

I appreciate your help mate thanks heaps!

Hey Mutch! As much as I'd love to say that I've used it, I am still waiting for mine so it may be a while to confirm with you how the MC works are in action (not too sure on the carpenter) I can give you a better insight on how felt from first glance. I was fortunate enough to come around a few rods in Japan from my wholesaler that I am currently waiting on for them to be shipped here (got 6 rods, but all sold through pre order). Their ETA or stock levels are non existent so it's frustrating giving an ETA to any new orders.

MC Works RAGING BULL feedback:
    The rod feels light in the hands with a well balanced blank, soft, crisp action with a faster taper that should launch out lures as well as make it easy to work them. The finishing was great as are all JDM rods with a blingy design that will catch the attention of many anglers. One of the most sort out after rods in the world when it comes to shore jigging and I can see why. MC Works have done a good job on marketing their product to be a "limted edition" feel. The only thing I worry about is that this rod is certainly not too good against damages as the paint on the outer surface layer of the rod is thin much like all of the high end JDM brands.

Yamaga Blanks 106H PS feedback:
    This rod has been designed specially for working stickbaits (plug = stickbait in Japan) with the slightly longer length giving a better casting distance as well as more clearance on the rocks. The rod is well balanced with the new NANO technology in the blank which makes it lighter in the hands in addition to having a softer tip action with great durability. For the mid - high end rods the Yamaga would have to be one of the most popular when it comes to lure rods. For anybody searching for a Japanese shore jigging rod that doesn't break that bank and has all the features of a high end Japanese rod the Yamaga is a great choice.

Daiwa Shore Spartan:
    You will find the Shore Spartan to be heavier than other Japanese rods in the same price range. Also to note, the rod is made in Thailand and not Japan. Despite this, they have built a good rod that is slightly heavier, but created a rod that is heavy duty and can withstand a beating on the rocks. Another highlight of the rod is the Titanium Fuji K guides (other rods generally run a standard SiC set of guides) for better rigidity, strength and weight reduction. The aesthetics on the rod is immaculate in the trademark Saltiga colour scheme. The rod is full of flavour and has been born to be paired up with a Daiwa Saltiga! The shore spartan is a rod that catches the attention of anglers and is pretty much a "saltiga" spec/design rod with a different name, perhaps as it wasn't made in Japan?

Hope this helps!

hey Gabriel, I appreciate that feedback it helps out heaps!
    I have heard the
    Mc works are hard to come by! Well I'm thinking of pairing a saltiga or a Catalina to one of those two mentioned rods I will come in a couple of weeks to feel what both of them are like and what feels comfortable for me! I also want to have a chat about how the whole shore jigging works and how to rig everything properly it's abit new to me!
    Do you run the shop at campsie?

Thanks for the help it's much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by mutch22 View Post
    hey Gabriel, I appreciate that feedback it helps out heaps!
    I have heard the
    Mc works are hard to come by! Well I'm thinking of pairing a saltiga or a Catalina to one of those two mentioned rods I will come in a couple of weeks to feel what both of them are like and what feels comfortable for me! I also want to have a chat about how the whole shore jigging works and how to rig everything properly it's abit new to me!
    Do you run the shop at campsie?

Thanks for the help it's much appreciated!
    You've heard correctly haha, they're a difficult rod to source especially in the models that we are generally after. Feel free to ask any questions mate. Yes, we run the shop at both Campsie (Campsie Fishing Tackle) & Eastwood ( Shin Shin Fishing Tackle).

Your welcome mate.