Thread: fish on Holiday?

fish on Holiday?

Hi all
    how was everyone's long weekend so far?
    for me i haven't yet found a ISO crew yet; so took two day straight out on a boat.

Saturday - weather was bit opposite to the weather forecast however didn't stop me.
    started day early launch out from Garigal National Park (forestville) and went out south head and trolled along towards botany bay went pass Bondi and did a loop around wedding cake island and decided to head back as wind was catching up!
    surprisingly no one hit not even bonito so i blamed the weather and headed near clifton ,
    noticed few regular ISO fisherrman fishing off the wharf and rock on the side probably did better then me,
    after few more hours without getting hit decided to call it the day.

Sunday - with fresh mind set and much better weather decided to head out to botany bay launched out at 6am and was at 3rd runway at 6:15am straight away caught 3 perfect lollipop size yellowtail and set one deep and one around 5m.. within mins the one that was set deep took off but the smarter fish got away with the tail side of the yakka and left the head!

with interest and excitement set another one out then within few mins it was on again and this time with more caution i let it run and when i closed the drag all a sudden it was gone - with the disappointment i winded the line in and found out my new 40lb leader was cut clean cut with few teeth marks
    couldn't understand what it could have been, first i thought it was taylor but just had a gut feeling it wasn't as the line was cut so easily then i took the two together were the first yellowtail was cut in half in metter of second and couldn't think of what it could have been?

anyway the last yellowtail which was left out at 5m from 16m deep wasn't touched once so decided to move out to Kurnell as i couldn't catch anymore bait.
    when i arrived the area was packed with boats but noone seems to be catching anything after 2 hours of silence decided call it for the day.

anyone else had better luck?
    thinking about going out again tomorrow but contemplating.. with the result so far,

Quote Originally Posted by twinpower View Post

Hi all
    how was everyone's long weekend so far?
    for me i haven't yet found a ISO crew yet; so took two day straight out on a boat.

Saturday - weather was bit opposite to the weather forecast however didn't stop me.
    started day early launch out from Garigal National Park (forestville) and went out south head and trolled along towards botany bay went pass Bondi and did a loop around wedding cake island and decided to head back as wind was catching up!
    surprisingly no one hit not even bonito so i blamed the weather and headed near clifton ,
    noticed few regular ISO fisherrman fishing off the wharf and rock on the side probably did better then me,
    after few more hours without getting hit decided to call it the day.

Sunday - with fresh mind set and much better weather decided to head out to botany bay launched out at 6am and was at 3rd runway at 6:15am straight away caught 3 perfect lollipop size yellowtail and set one deep and one around 5m.. within mins the one that was set deep took off but the smarter fish got away with the tail side of the yakka and left the head!

with interest and excitement set another one out then within few mins it was on again and this time with more caution i let it run and when i closed the drag all a sudden it was gone - with the disappointment i winded the line in and found out my new 40lb leader was cut clean cut with few teeth marks
    couldn't understand what it could have been, first i thought it was taylor but just had a gut feeling it wasn't as the line was cut so easily then i took the two together were the first yellowtail was cut in half in metter of second and couldn't think of what it could have been?

anyway the last yellowtail which was left out at 5m from 16m deep wasn't touched once so decided to move out to Kurnell as i couldn't catch anymore bait.
    when i arrived the area was packed with boats but noone seems to be catching anything after 2 hours of silence decided call it for the day.

anyone else had better luck?
    thinking about going out again tomorrow but contemplating.. with the result so far,
    The weather on the long weekend was different to what it was forecasted with bigger swells that would have caught anglers off guard on the rocks. The fishing wasn't too great from what I heard too besides a few anglers who fish regularly who did okay.

Judging by how the bait was stolen, it could have been a tailor, bonito or barracuda and I'm leaning more towards a tailor or barracuda after you mentioned they cut your line off. Due to the cold current the barracuda have been invading sydney and plenty have been caught on baits and jigs so it would make sense if they had stolen your live bait and also cut your leader off.

For kingies you should try long reef or go all the way off offshore to the peak or 12 mile reef. As summer comes the kingies will congregate closer to the shores. The bonnies are patchy, but will show up soon which will kick off the spinning season!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Long weekend I was out both on boat and Landbased... Nothing special but we caught a few feed. Few kingies around but they won't touch anything as yakkas are everywhere and they r probably too full

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Twinpower, another possibility for those toothy creatures is sharks. They do have a tendency to chop baits in half and certainly bite through anything but wire fairly easily.

thanks for the feedback
    anyone keen on going out with me to show me some location in a boat happy to take on board
    probably not this weekend offshore as swell looks big but next weekend,
    or if you know any great spot inshore happy to go this weekend.
    ps . i can have 3-4people its rated for 7 but prefer less.
    let me know if anyone is keen to just fish and social
    i am located macqurie park and happy to launch anywhere in sydney long as it has a boat ramp

all i ask for is good company and bring ur own gear!
    send me an sms 0433265055
    Last edited by twinpower; 06-10-17 at 10:14 AM.