Thread: shore jigging for hairtail

shore jigging for hairtail

Gday I've watched a couple of clips about shore jigging for hairtail up newcastle way an am very keen to learn more any info regarding locations, jigs an techniques would be great I have friends up that way I stay with an would love to try it next time

Quote Originally Posted by The Black pig View Post
    Gday I've watched a couple of clips about shore jigging for hairtail up newcastle way an am very keen to learn more any info regarding locations, jigs an techniques would be great I have friends up that way I stay with an would love to try it next time
    People usually fish for hairtail up at Honeysuckle bay wharf or you can try the Hawkesbury river. There were good numbers this season within Sydney Harbour spots as well such as Pier two.

For your lures, you can try use the hair tail soft plastics that Gab sells which glow in the dark at night time. Alternatively, you can try the slow batt metals which work quite well at day time or in the arvo. Many people use the hairtail rig which Gab sells at his shop - the hairtail lights are crucial.

Thanks for the info I'll check them out,What time of year is the season if you don't mind me asking

My family used to catch hairtails off the wharf in newcastle as my uncles have prawn trawlers and have access to their docks heh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done with the access,Me an you might have to become good mates

Although the season is finished for them now, the best way to approach shore jigging for hairtail will be the following.

Set up:
    Rod - L/ML action rod (eging or shore jigging) that can cast up to 30g
    Reel - any small 3000
    line - PE1-1.5

For the daytime, small slow jigs work well in the silver, silver rainbow or red/purple colour as well as the hairtail king soft plastic or the Majorcraft JP wind series that are all built for hairtail. During the evening, the hairtail king soft plastic or the Majorcraft JP wind are your best bets.

The hairtail are slow predators, so work the lure and let the lure sink back down for a few seconds as they will hit the lure on the drop most of the times.

Haha plenty of time for me to get ready then.I use a Storm Gomoku 3.5 Egi rod an a Daiwa saltigas 3500h with 0.8PE which I was going to double as a Hairtial jigger with the 20g jigs so I only really need some jigs an a bit of knowledge, you'll have to let me know when they show up next yearan we'll organise a Hairtail session up your way

Quote Originally Posted by The Black pig View Post
    Thanks for the info I'll check them out,What time of year is the season if you don't mind me asking
    March to May for the Newcastle region.

June to August for the Hawkesbury River and Sydney Harbour.

Thanks I thinking I might try port kembla harbour an see if there is any around, sounds like they work their way down the coast through winter??????