Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Trevally in the harbour 2/06/17

  1. #1

    Trevally in the harbour 2/06/17

    With big swells and winds predicted, I decided to opt for a safer location in the harbour as suggested by Gabriel. My girlfriend and I both managed to have a day off from work and since she is somewhat keen on fishing, I took her along hoping she will catch something decent.

    With the peak of the low tide being predicted around 9am, we managed to get to the location before first light and began to prep the burley whilst I rigged up for the both of us. I rigged up an 0.5 size float + split shot, and 8lb leader for my girlfriend and helped her to start fishing whilst I began to set my rig up (3b float + split shot). First cast in, and whilst I was still preparing, she managed to hook a decent size pike which busted her off at her feet.. LOL. After rebaiting and a few drifts later she was on again to a pike (most likely the same one) and managed to land it. Was pretty cool to see a huge calamari attempting to steal the pike once it was on the surface! Could full see its thick tentacles trying to wrap around the fish! Too bad I didnít have any egi gear on me.. Anyways, it was fairly quiet for the next couple of hours or so with only small bream/tarwhine being caught as well as a few yellowtails.

    Once the tide began to turn, the trevally started to come on the bite. It felt refreshing to hook up to the first trevally for the day. I didnít have a net so I made sure I tired it out before lifting it up and off he went into the keeper bag. I found that a long cast was not required, only about 10-15m in front seemed to be the where the fish were congregating. After that, my girlfriend also managed to hook and land a nice sized trevally which she was extremely proud of. Her first legal fish haha. She was learning really quickly and was casting/rebaiting very well. Eventually we had a double hook up and she was able to land another trev whereas I got busted off on what I assume was a larger trev. Initially, the fight felt like a slightly larger trevally but maybe ~20s into the fight the fish felt like a really heavy dead weight. I tried putting more pressure on the fish but it wouldnít move! Then I opened my bail thinking it had me around a reef but I ended up losing the fish. Would an LBD reel have made a difference here?
    Anyways, we kept fishing and getting trevallies here and there and around 11.30am the wind changed direction and began to blow towards the area we were fishing in. This made it harder to keep the float in the same place so I changed my rig to an 0.5 float + split shot as well as a slightly longer leader. A few scoops of burley into the water was all it took and I was onto another good sized trevally. After that, we decided to call it quits since the wind made it really annoying to fish in.

    Throughout the session we released a few smaller sized trevs and ended up keeping 3 trevally, 2 yellowtails and the pike. Also gave one trevally to an old Chinese couple who were bottom bashing without much luck. Overall it was an enjoyable day to be out!

    18926980_10212374007292627_1084030516_o.jpg

    18947164_10212374005332578_1340976045_o.jpg

    18986267_10212374005452581_592435339_o.jpg

    18901968_10212374006372604_198966596_o.jpg
    Last edited by Jpark94; 04-06-17 at 10:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Sounds like a fun little session. As with most harbour spots, no run no fun, need a bit of current for the action to start up.

    Was gonna say you should have let the calamari take your pike then slowly wind him in and net him but you forgot the net, unlucky.

    Theres not a lot of girls who are fishing now, long gone are the days where fishing was a mans hobby.

    ISO Fishing Lifestyle Team


    Homepage: http://isofishinglifestyle.com.au/
    ISO Fishing TV: www.youtube.com/user/IsoFishingTV
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/isofishing


  3. #3
    Great work on the trevally Joseph & your missus! It's hard to say whether the LBD will help in those instances, but you will find that the LBD will give you more control when you need to quickly change the action of the rod or let the fish run as it's an instant drag.

    Hard to say what the fish was, but with big trevally you will notice that they run sideways and will be quite difficult to turn the head as they sit on their side in the current and use the surface area of their body to fight against the current making them a hard fish to pull in quick when they're big, unless you're using a heavy outfit. The best way to fight the larger trevally is to use the trevally's fighting style to your advantage and lead the trevally to which side you want it to move smoothly instead of trying to force the head around. They also have a soft mouth so if you put too much pressure on them, the hook will often pull.

    Well done and great report mate =)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Team.IFL.Jay View Post
    Sounds like a fun little session. As with most harbour spots, no run no fun, need a bit of current for the action to start up.

    Was gonna say you should have let the calamari take your pike then slowly wind him in and net him but you forgot the net, unlucky.

    Theres not a lot of girls who are fishing now, long gone are the days where fishing was a mans hobby.


    Yes, there was enough action to keep both of us occupied haha
    Still regretting not bringing a net haha, the hood must've been around 30cm or so!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Team.IFL.Gabriel View Post
    Great work on the trevally Joseph & your missus! It's hard to say whether the LBD will help in those instances, but you will find that the LBD will give you more control when you need to quickly change the action of the rod or let the fish run as it's an instant drag.

    Hard to say what the fish was, but with big trevally you will notice that they run sideways and will be quite difficult to turn the head as they sit on their side in the current and use the surface area of their body to fight against the current making them a hard fish to pull in quick when they're big, unless you're using a heavy outfit. The best way to fight the larger trevally is to use the trevally's fighting style to your advantage and lead the trevally to which side you want it to move smoothly instead of trying to force the head around. They also have a soft mouth so if you put too much pressure on them, the hook will often pull.

    Well done and great report mate =)
    Thanks Gab! Yes I think you are right about that. It must've been another trev but a larger one as I remember it did swim to my right side and just stayed there... lol. I didnt want to put too much pressure on the fish as I was scared I may lose it. Will try that technique next time!!

  6. #6
    Nice write up seems like u had a nice Lil sesh... Trevs are always fun to catch and funny seeing the pattern is changing now as they r normally in the harbour during warmer months.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpark94 View Post
    Thanks Gab! Yes I think you are right about that. It must've been another trev but a larger one as I remember it did swim to my right side and just stayed there... lol. I didnt want to put too much pressure on the fish as I was scared I may lose it. Will try that technique next time!!
    The trick is not to put too much pressure, but just enough to keep the fish swimming around in circles until it gets tired.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tiuscdl View Post
    Nice write up seems like u had a nice Lil sesh... Trevs are always fun to catch and funny seeing the pattern is changing now as they r normally in the harbour during warmer months.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate! Haha either way I can't complain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •