Thread: Report: Revenge ISO fishing for kingfish round 2

Report: Revenge ISO fishing for kingfish round 2

Team: Gabriel, Jay, Ray, Tony, Fads, Charlie, Ryan, Stephanie

Revenge was on the kingfish as we came with artillery to specifically chase kingfish.

Set up:
    Rod: IFL Excalibur Type III prototype
    Reel: Daiwa Onaga Monster 4000D
    Line: Marufuji ST Mark #5
    Float: Sujezzi Di-ISO float #00
    Hook: Gakamatsu Size #16
    Bait: Strips of fresh calamari

After getting smashed by a kingfish last week, I was determined to get one on this trip. Jay was live baiting out live yakkas on the Type III Type Rambo whilst I upped the set to the Type III prototype with a heavier set up. The morning was calm with only a few bream and trevally. We were waiting for the pelagics to swim past at one stage. Charlie and Fads were fishing HD set ups with sliding rigs and floating rigs with yakkas. Bream king Ray was onto the bream like usual. Tony had not been fishing in a long time, so he was fishing lighted weighted baits.

There were pickers about until Ray hooked and landed a nice flathead on the bottom rig. Jay was getting scavenged by a hungry bird that kept chasing his live baits around. Jay was also the first to hook onto a fish on the live bait as he hooked and landed a watsons leaping bonito. After a while, the time had come and the kingfish finally cruised back in. The kings swam around spooking the baitfish and sniffed Jay's live yakka.

Once again I hooked onto the fish that I was after on a large strip of fresh calamari. The fight went on for around 2 minutes and I managed to slowly pull the fish to my feet and had colour. After a tough fight, the fish busted me off again....... Furious, I rigged back up and threw out another bait. Tony hooked and landed 2 watsons leaping bonito whilst live baiting on his IFL Basic Type II ISO fishing rod. Jay and I also picked up a Watsons leaping bonito as they chased the baitfish in. In the meantime, Ray had a fishermans basket as he landed another flathead which he released followed by a tasty whiting!

Overall, it was a decent session for the harbour chasing pealgics this late in the season. Revenge will be near!

Well done guys!!

Not a bad little session. I was fishing with the new Rambo Type 3 prototype rigged up with BB-X Remare 6000D, 2.0 ISO float down to a 4/0 live bait hook on 30lb trace then downgraded to 24lb trace. Was floating out tiny yakkas, some of them even smaller than a pilchard size. Similar style to Tetsuya Takahashi's live baiting video in his old school Remare videos for TV Shimano.

Plenty of Watsons Leaping Bonito around which didnt hestitate to smash the yakkas but the Kingys would only come up and have a sniff then swim off. Could see them swimming around infront, most of them rats but a few larger models around the 70~75cm mark.

One bad thing about this spot is when the bird comes in you can't keep your live bait in the water or else he'll have a go at it which happened on a few occasions which ended up with in a tug of war with the bird and when he finally lets go the bait is dead. The bird probably prevented me from having my live bait in the water for nearly half the session.

Ray did well on the side bottom bashing for bream, trevally, flathead and whiting for a mixed bag.

Gabriel managed to hook up to one of the King around the 65~70cm mark on the squid, had the fight won but last moment had a knot fail him. Think someone has it on video which includes Gabriels frustrated grunt.

Overall not a bad quick morning session, as to the reasons why the Kingys didnt hit the lollypop size yakkas I would have to pin it down to either the yakkas were too small or I have to downgrade the trace to even below 20lb as we were fishing crystal clear water. When I hooked up to the watsons leaping bonito, the 70~75cm model kings would come have a go at them but couldnt swallow so possibly a larger sized yakka or cowenyang might have triggered the hit.

ISO Fishing Lifestyle Team

Homepage: http://isofishinglifestyle.com.au/
    ISO Fishing TV: www.youtube.com/user/IsoFishingTV
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/isofishing

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well done guys!!
    Thanks Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Team.IFL.Jay View Post
    Not a bad little session. I was fishing with the new Rambo Type 3 prototype rigged up with BB-X Remare 6000D, 2.0 ISO float down to a 4/0 live bait hook on 30lb trace then downgraded to 24lb trace. Was floating out tiny yakkas, some of them even smaller than a pilchard size. Similar style to Tetsuya Takahashi's live baiting video in his old school Remare videos for TV Shimano.

Plenty of Watsons Leaping Bonito around which didnt hestitate to smash the yakkas but the Kingys would only come up and have a sniff then swim off. Could see them swimming around infront, most of them rats but a few larger models around the 70~75cm mark.

One bad thing about this spot is when the bird comes in you can't keep your live bait in the water or else he'll have a go at it which happened on a few occasions which ended up with in a tug of war with the bird and when he finally lets go the bait is dead. The bird probably prevented me from having my live bait in the water for nearly half the session.

Ray did well on the side bottom bashing for bream, trevally, flathead and whiting for a mixed bag.

Gabriel managed to hook up to one of the King around the 65~70cm mark on the squid, had the fight won but last moment had a knot fail him. Think someone has it on video which includes Gabriels frustrated grunt.

Overall not a bad quick morning session, as to the reasons why the Kingys didnt hit the lollypop size yakkas I would have to pin it down to either the yakkas were too small or I have to downgrade the trace to even below 20lb as we were fishing crystal clear water. When I hooked up to the watsons leaping bonito, the 70~75cm model kings would come have a go at them but couldnt swallow so possibly a larger sized yakka or cowenyang might have triggered the hit.
    Hope the video doesn't go up haha.