Thread: fillet knife discussion

Junior Member ISO Beginner Ryanmqaf's Avatar

fillet knife discussion

Hi guys its a late night post, just wondering what fish fillet knife are u guys using?i have a morakniv 11819 150 comfort fish fillet knife,but it only has nearly 6'' blade and is kinda thick and hard for some situations
    I also have a morakniv companion all-around knife for some potential hard style using, (I loving collecting knives, but there are only 2 knives I m taking for fishing)

Now I'm buying the Rapala fish n fillet 9'' from USA, it is a classic fillet knife over 30yrs ,pretty expecting the first filleting by this knife
    So plz feel free to share ur fillet knives or opinions, experience or anything that u wanna talk about.
    At the end, as long as I have two morakniv, I have to recommend u guys another small mora knife that are selling in ISO tackle store, the first time I saw it in Eastwood I was pretty shocked, haven't seen any tackle shop selling this tasty brand, the real Swedish knife, shape,strong and reliable, usually outperform than much more expensive knives, it can finished all simple cutting jobs like bait cutting or small fish filleting, it doesn't have long thin blade but becuz the thick style, it can chop the tree trunk and done many surviving purposes jobs. One important thing is the price, if I remember right, $16.5. Not only this style of this brand, but also is the cheapest morakniv I've seen in Australia including the online shops. My friend bought one and he was so satisfied by this valuable knife, even though his mora was contributed to sea waves lol, I believe he will buy another new one.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

need to correct something,shin shin tackle shop by IFL in eastwood, sry i thought it was named ISO tackle shop hahaha

I'll look into the Morakniv fillet knife Ryan, but at the moment like what you have mentioned we only have the standard bait knife. I'm no expert when it comes to knives, so hopefully somebody more experienced in this department can help you out.

If you are buying a knife for pure filleting, the type of knife doesn't really matter that much. It just needs to be super sharp. I don't particularly like the 'standard' long flexible filleting knife, but prefer more a Deba or Santoku type knifes. They offer a bit more strength in the backbone for getting nice fillets. Filleting is all about technique rather than the knife.
    Just my two cents, I'm sure there are others who know more about knives who can help.

Quote Originally Posted by autocad View Post
    If you are buying a knife for pure filleting, the type of knife doesn't really matter that much. It just needs to be super sharp. I don't particularly like the 'standard' long flexible filleting knife, but prefer more a Deba or Santoku type knifes. They offer a bit more strength in the backbone for getting nice fillets. Filleting is all about technique rather than the knife.
    Just my two cents, I'm sure there are others who know more about knives who can help.
    Was waiting for your reply Scott haha

Quote Originally Posted by Team.IFL.Gabriel View Post
    I'll look into the Morakniv fillet knife Ryan, but at the moment like what you have mentioned we only have the standard bait knife. I'm no expert when it comes to knives, so hopefully somebody more experienced in this department can help you out.
    That morakniv I recommended to people is the standard bait knife u r selling in ur store haha

Quote Originally Posted by autocad View Post
    Thx for ur opinions bro, I also looked the deba knife and sashimi knife, but I think is weird to take it in the fishing bag. I agree with u the pure filleting knife is not strong enough that's why i using my japanese kitchen scissors or mora knife to chop the bones. Also as I know lots of fillet knife is sharp but the quality is about some r very easy to dull.

BTW, nice to meet u Scott, ive seen some youtube videos from u. I dont have much experience of filleting fish so hope next trips can learn some good skills from u.

BTW, nice to meet u Scott, ive heard and seen some youtube videos from u. I dont have much experience of filleting fish so hope next trips can learn some good skills from u.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanmqaf View Post
    BTW, nice to meet u Scott, ive heard and seen some youtube videos from u. I dont have much experience of filleting fish so hope next trips can learn some good skills from u.
    Scott is the Ozisofishing chef