Thread: Wanting to try slow jigging on a boat

Junior Member ISO Beginner sleepydawg's Avatar

Wanting to try slow jigging on a boat

Hey guys, I've never tried jigging before but I want to have a go this weekend. We are planning to rent a boat at Brooklyn this weekend.
    In particular I'd like to have a go at slow jigging.

At the moment I have some land based gear and curious if I can use it this weekend on the boat.

I've got a 12ft crystal blue on thunnus 8k, 4500b on a 7ft6 catana snap spin, a 2 piece 7ft ugly and an okuma reel.

Can I take the reel off the 7ft ugly spin rod and get myself a spin jigging reel to replace and have a go?

Also... can jigging be done at night time?

Tia

Remy

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Currently in love with beach fishing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sleepydawg View Post
    Hey guys, I've never tried jigging before but I want to have a go this weekend. We are planning to rent a boat at Brooklyn this weekend.
    In particular I'd like to have a go at slow jigging.

At the moment I have some land based gear and curious if I can use it this weekend on the boat.

I've got a 12ft crystal blue on thunnus 8k, 4500b on a 7ft6 catana snap spin, a 2 piece 7ft ugly and an okuma reel.

Can I take the reel off the 7ft ugly spin rod and get myself a spin jigging reel to replace and have a go?

Also... can jigging be done at night time?

Tia

Remy

Hey Remy,

Although they're not ideal slow jigging set ups, ill probably try the 7ft set up with any reel that has around 20lb braid spooled. Try use a rod that has more of rebounding type action as opposed to a soft rod.

slow jigging is better during the daytime, youre better off using bait.

Goodluck for the trip mate.

Gabriel

Hey Gabe

Thanks for the reply. I've just been offered online to come see a combo, it's a saragosa 6000 with power pro 30lb line on a terez 15-30lb rod. Does that sound any better?

If not, could you recommend me a set for boat and a set for land based?

My budget would be around $250 per combination

Thanks in advance once again

Hey Gabe

Thanks for the reply. I've just been offered online to come see a combo, it's a saragosa 6000 with power pro 30lb line on a terez 15-30lb rod. Does that sound any better?

If not, could you recommend me a set for boat and a set for land based?

My budget would be around $250 per combination

Thanks in advance once again
    Actually I've been doing some homework and my budget is not really appropriate unless I enter the second hand market. However the combo mentioned above seems to be a fair choice for a boat / kayak session (The rod is only a 7ft). Otherwise land based I would be looking at the 10ft range in terms of rod length. Please correct my if I am incorrect.

Once I do get more into SJ it would be more likely that my trips would be land based so perhaps I should stick to a land based set up and just use it on the seldom boat occasion.

I can push my budget higher, if you have a good recommendations I would love to take your advice.

Actually I've been doing some homework and my budget is not really appropriate unless I enter the second hand market. However the combo mentioned above seems to be a fair choice for a boat / kayak session (The rod is only a 7ft). Otherwise land based I would be looking at the 10ft range in terms of rod length. Please correct my if I am incorrect.

Once I do get more into SJ it would be more likely that my trips would be land based so perhaps I should stick to a land based set up and just use it on the seldom boat occasion.

I can push my budget higher, if you have a good recommendations I would love to take your advice.
    Yes, so the shore slow jigging and slow jigging (off the boat) require completely different set ups.

Depending on your budget, you should try a shore jigging rod to start shore slow jigging and then switch to a proper shore slow rod if you enjoy the type of fishing.

For an affordable rod that can do the job, you should look into the Majorcraft solpara shore jigging series. The solpara is $175 and will cover you for shore jigging, shore slow jigging and spinning as a whole.

If are really keen, the set up I use the is the Palms Shore Gun Evolv Shore Slow series, 991 and 993. These rods will set you back $390, but they're awesome rods.

Hope this helps mate. Feel free to drop by the shop if you want more advice or set up suitable for you.

I've just been offered a good rig recently and wanted to double check here.

Gomuku rod with an okuma rtx pro 40 reel. Super PE also included for $229 and if I'm lucky a sneaky microjig on the house.

How does this sound?

Also I'm in need of more multi coloured lines. I've been using Jbraid x8. Are there any other preferences around here? I'm happy with them, but won't hurt to try something new.