Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Rabbitfish

Black Rabbitfish

Hi guys, i pulled this one from The Sydney Harbour today. Measured about 20cm and it was caught on prawn. I'm almost sure it's a Black Rabbitfish aka Black Trevally/Happy Moment. They have venom in their spines but they are apparently very tasty. They put up a good fight for their size.
    20160227_074512.jpg

Cheers,
    Neutrino

Congrats on the black trevally Neutrino! Those things are a pocket rocket and fight so hard for their size. I rate them great eating too.

Black trevally, great fish to target on ISO.

ISO Fishing Lifestyle Team

Homepage: http://isofishinglifestyle.com.au/
    ISO Fishing TV: www.youtube.com/user/IsoFishingTV
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/isofishing

Thanks Guys. I didn't really target them but I won't complain. Another new species for me. I was trying to catch some yakkas for live bait. A nice bycatch in addition to 2 legal trevallies and a luderick on size 12 hook.

how do ya cook this thingie?
    Rockwave ISO Fishing Team (Sydney) - Peter
    www.facebook.com/rockwaveiso

Quote Originally Posted by icyphish View Post
    how do ya cook this thingie?
    We normally pan fry the Black trevally with salt and pepper Peter. The mean is very tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Team.IFL.Gabriel View Post
    Congrats on the black trevally Neutrino! Those things are a pocket rocket and fight so hard for their size. I rate them great eating too.
    I landed a 41cm on the weekend, fried it the next day and unfortunately it wasn't great, skin was rubbery and impossible to eat and flesh was a bit firm. I think this one was a bit on the old side, I'll be releasing the large ones from now on and will keep the plate sized ones. And yes they are an excellent fighting fish!
    Last edited by whiskey; 27-09-16 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    I landed a 41cm on the weekend, fried it the next day and unfortunately it wasn't great, skin was rubbery and impossible to eat and flesh was a bit firm. I think this one was a bit on the old side, I'll be releasing the large ones from now on and will keep the plate sized ones. And yes they are an excellent fighting fish!
    Perhaps the fish was too big indeed. Mind me asking how long you cooked it for Brad? They are @$@# good fighters on light gear, sort of like a hybrid between a trevally and a drummer.

They are excellent eating when pan fried regardless of size!
    You need to make two cuts across the body and salt each side lightly before frying

This fish was too big to fit in our fryer, so it was cut in half and salted on the outside.

As to how long it was fried? I have no idea as my wife voluteneered to cook it. Hope to catch another one soon