Thread: Let's talk fishing gloves...

Let's talk fishing gloves...

There are a two things I want to talk about regarding (out of all things) fishing gloves...

First, Not long ago I had a fishing session with a friend from Australia who moved to Japan after marrying a Japanese women and starting a family. A fairly big built guy. During the session he asked me why I use fishing gloves? Is it for cosmetics?

Well, I would be lying if I said it didn't serve any cosmetic purpose. But I ended up saying something like- well... I think they're great for protecting the hands after countless cast, grip, handling fish, etc

My response didn't move him at all. But in the end we both agreed that if you can't fish at least look like you can. And that's what's important

So are you a fan of fishing gloves? Why do you use it? Because i'll be totally bummed out if I forgot my pair of gloves. They're like a morale booster for me.

Second, how do you take care of these bad boys? I got a pair of leather gloves and I touch everything with them. The information on my gloves are in Japanese and I can't decipher all of it. At the end of the day I just hose them down with cold water and let it dry in the room away from the sunlight. I'm starting to think it's not the best thing to do for leather, they're starting to look out of shape. Any advice?
    Last edited by Fisher Taiga; 07-01-15 at 03:21 PM.

I use fishing glove for many reasons

1- Protection from Sunburn, cold wind

2- Protection when grabbing/releasing the fish (if you dont catch much fish a day it probably wont make much difference, but if you land like 20 fish a day, and some very spiky ones like Spinefoot, this make noticible difference)

3- Easier to move my fingers

4- Easier to grasp your rod firmly

5- After I finished striking a fish, if I missed, I normally retrieve my line to my waist's level, and just grab the line, pull up my rod so the hook gets right at my hand. If I wear a fishing glove, the hook would stop nicely at the glove, if not, I risk the chance of having the hook piercing my hand/finger...

6- And lastly, it looks GOOD!

Hope this now persuades your friend better
    Rockwave ISO Fishing Team (Sydney) - Peter
    www.facebook.com/rockwaveiso

Not getting pricked by a spiny fish is definitely a plus! good point on stopping the hook.

Peter that's a solid list of reasons to wear a glove. My main reasons out of your 6 are from getting a "glove" tan when wearing a long sleeve shirt with no gloves and to prevent getting spiked from handling fish. Recently whilst I was fishing during the night for bream, I took my glove off as it got soaked and was handling a bream when it flinched and slipped with the spine on it's belly piercing into the palm of my hand. Lesson learnt - wear gloves to prevent injuries!

Plus, the Japanese ones look awesome and keeps your hands cleaner when fishing

Getting pricked by bream is definitely not fun! I felt that on my first bream catch! No gloves!

So we all agree to just rinse gloves in cold water? leather or otherwise?

Peters on the mark especially with 1 + 2 , while it may be viewed as being a bit of a "soft-ck " but skin cancer is not as discriminating. I have destroyed a few el-cheapos, sadly the reality is the expensive ones last longer for sure. Rise in warm water and hang them out to dry.

Sunglasses are also critical to protect your eyes from damage, other angler and potential disasters.

The point of spinfoot or red rock cod /scorpion fish is one that you should fear - recently a friend got spiked by the scorpion fish and it came close to a trip to emergency. The description of the pain was colourful to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher Taiga View Post
    There are a two things I want to talk about regarding (out of all things) fishing gloves...

First, Not long ago I had a fishing session with a friend from Australia who moved to Japan after marrying a Japanese women and starting a family. A fairly big built guy. During the session he asked me why I use fishing gloves? Is it for cosmetics?

Well, I would be lying if I said it didn't serve any cosmetic purpose. But I ended up saying something like- well... I think they're great for protecting the hands after countless cast, grip, handling fish, etc

My response didn't move him at all. But in the end we both agreed that if you can't fish at least look like you can. And that's what's important

So are you a fan of fishing gloves? Why do you use it? Because i'll be totally bummed out if I forgot my pair of gloves. They're like a morale booster for me.

Second, how do you take care of these bad boys? I got a pair of leather gloves and I touch everything with them. The information on my gloves are in Japanese and I can't decipher all of it. At the end of the day I just hose them down with cold water and let it dry in the room away from the sunlight. I'm starting to think it's not the best thing to do for leather, they're starting to look out of shape. Any advice?

I've found there are two different methods to take care of your glove.

1. You can clean your gloves in luke-warm water with a drop of Eucalyptus Oil which generally kills the germs and also rejuvenates the gloves very well when dried under a shade with some decent wind blowing. Under the sun the material will deteriorate quickly and age quickly.

2. You can clean the gloves with 100% cotton treatment liquids. Generally the ones for babies are very good as they are subtle chemicals that clean and also kills the harmful bacteria that grows from touching guts etc.

Generally I would recommend gloves on locations away from inland. So if you're going fishing central coast area then I would definitely recommend gloves as a safety. But I found that generally I would not wear them as they take away feel of the rod's sensitivity.

I'll have to try the eucalyptus oil next time, it will probably make the gloves smell better too.

If you wanna remove the smell, wash in some few drops of eucalyptus oil(breaks down the oils) and vinegar and baking soda (this is also a natural detergent(no chemicals), meaning you are cleaning it also)
    If it still smells, powder some baking soda to get the smell out, leave it for a a day or so. baking soda alone will absorb the smell. (why some motels put baking soda in the fridge)

If your gloves start smelling really bad and it seems to be moulding because you forgot to wash it or something,
    Wash with some head and shoulders first(anti-fungal wash) then use the normal wash with eucalyptus oil, vinegar and baking soda
    Might need to soak it if its really bad.

Should smell fresh as a daisy after that.