Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Perspectives of a fisheries social scientist

Quote Originally Posted by Piscineidiot View Post
    Thanks Gabe, having never hooked a double-header I can't be sure, but I suspect they'd be very similar considering they're both large bodied wrasse that love coral. I'd imagine blue groper would fight similarly?
    To be quite honest with you, I don't think that the blue groper is that strong for it's size or maybe just the groper that I've caught have been weak Pound for pound, I would say kingfish and drummer fight harder. I'd imagine tuskfish to be like a surgeonfish or big drummer?

I'd say you might be right there, Gabriel. The surgeons and drummer I have fought have been vicious and dirty. Just wish we could find them over 5kg regularly...

Quote Originally Posted by Piscineidiot View Post
    I'd say you might be right there, Gabriel. The surgeons and drummer I have fought have been vicious and dirty. Just wish we could find them over 5kg regularly...
    Imagine fighting a 10kg surgeonfish/black drummer......

That'd be pretty rock and roll!

check out what I found on the net, just horrifying if you ask me. The full story behind it can be found here: http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/permit-massacre

Permit.jpg

Oh yeah, I heard all about that one. Funnily, it doesn't bother me too much. They're a plentiful fish, with a high fecundity, grow quickly and have a wide distribution, they're at a very low level of risk.

Despite people crying foul that the removal of this school of fish will mean the loss of recreational fishing opportunities, the fish were caught in Noosa, which is not particularly well known for its permit fishery. Some might argue this sort of beach hauling is why, but I suspect there are other reasons why the fishery isn't well known or developed (like the fact that it's a surf beach). There are plenty out there, and commercial fishers don't typically target something as low-value as permit (their time is money after all), so I suspect their effect on the population is likely minimal. One might argue that it's a bit much of recreational fishers to cry bloody murder over a school of permit in Noosa when really, they are not important as a species to fishing tourism in this area at all (despite having naturally occurred there for who knows how long). If the locals were complaining about the commercial harvest of bream, whiting, tailor or flathead in the area however, they might well have more of an argument.

When it comes to fisheries (and other natural resources), it is difficult to argue your right to something if you didn't value (or even know about) it beforehand just because someone took some of it. Having said that, there was a move towards getting golden trevally and permit/snub-nosed dart to be declared as 'recreational only' species. Thus far, I haven't heard anything about its success/failure, but I suspect it really isn't high on the list of priorities (which is reasonable, considering the number of species that are more vulnerable and face much greater recreational/commercial pressure).

How ironic that we were discussing Permit fishing up here (Noosa/ Hervey Bay) area only recently.

I haven't seen any news of this netting catch locally, so presumably it has been kept quiet. There has been discussion at council level about buying out the commercial nets from the north shore beaches, but clearly no action yet.

Just seems stupid when this area could be using a tourist fishing resource like this for big bucks instead of peanuts.

Ronald, that particular incident happened 5 years ago. The fishers involved don't deliberately target permit. In fact, I'm fairly certain no one targets permit commercially
    preferentially. Typically they are caught when more valuable species aren't around, or when they shoot a net around a school thinking/hoping they're something else.

Sad as it is, I'm afraid it is up to recreational fishers to provide evidence that the permit are more valuable as a recreational only species, and that they have the capacity/wherewithal to generate said 'big bucks' reasonably quickly before the government will give the application much thought.

Another approach would be to establish said recreational fishery (since, there are still a few around) and then argue the potential for the further development of that fishery.

Surgeon fish of equal size would pull a drummer backwards with ease.

Thanks for your reply Owen. As you say,it is hard to argue for protection of an obscure species like Permit, but to me this example points to a wider problem. The North shore beaches of Noosa up to Frazer Island are a wonderful example of unspoiled coastal environment because the only access is by four wheel drive. These are beaches where it is possible to spin up tuna, Spanish Mackeral, big Trevally including Permit, as well as the usual bread and butter species. In other words the perfect environment which could attract local and overseas sport fisherman. This opportunity is largely lost because of the prevailing beach netting which not only takes out the resident schooling fish but is believed to spook passing schools which will then bypass the area.

In economic terms, is it better to support an extractive part time industry which probably only offers part time employment, as against a renewable tourist industry which would provide employment and income for a large part of the local business community, ie fishing guides, bait suppliers, accommodation,restaurants etc. To me its a "no brainer".